This document contains official content from the BMC Software Knowledge Base. It is automatically updated when the knowledge article is modified.
Remedy IT Service Management Suite
Remedy ITSM for OnDemand
Helix ITSM Data Management Tool, any version after 8.1.x
How to add a custom attribute to CMDB Data Management jobs?
Customer added a new asset attribute (Renewal Date) to be used by CMDB classes (BMC_ComputerSystem and others), and wants to be able to use the Data Management Tool to import records data, including the values for the custom attribute.
The out of the box spreadsheet templates, the data integration job and the workflow need to be customized. The steps described here apply for Asset or CMDB new attributes.
This is an overview of the steps required to address this customization.
Depending on what type of information (Asset data or CMDB data), the first step is to add the new field/s:
- In the case of CMDB attributes, these need to be added using AtriumCore Class Manager, in the corresponding class, and once this task is completed, the customizations need to be promoted to be consumed by the rest of the ITSM applications by running a 'Sync Asset UI with CMDB' process.
- In the case of Asset only attributes, the custom attribute needs to be added in two forms, using Developer Studio in Best Practice mode: AST:LoadAttributes and AST:Attributes.
- In the case of CMDB attributes, following the data flow in the job, the new attribute/s need to be mapped to the CMDB Output step/s (CI-CS-CMDBOutput, CI-Product-CMDBOutput, CI-Processor-CMDBOutput, etc, as it may correspond ) included in the job/s.
- In the case of Asset attributes, review the data flow in the job, and add the new attribute/s by mapping them in the AR Output step/s (CI-CS-AROutput, CI-Product-AROutput, CI-Processor-AROutput, etc, as it may correspond ) that loads the data into AST:LoadAttributes.
From here, the CMDB Attributes will be handled by the BMC.ITSM.CI.DATA Reconciliation job, and merged with BMC.ASSET upon completion.
For the Asset only attributes, there is a third step needed:
- The AR Output steps that handle the Asset data values do the import into the AST:LoadAttributes form.
- From this form, the data is finally pushed to AST:Attributes by the filter ASI:DLP:CreateAttribute
- This filter needs also to be customized, by adding the new field to the Actions, in two places:
..the new field/s need to be mapped below.
If no record exists:
..again, the new field/s need to be mapped below.
NOTE: This is a customization, and this article is to be considered as guidance only.