This document contains official content from the BMC Software Knowledge Base. It is automatically updated when the knowledge article is modified.
BMC Client Management
Any version of BCM
My device is red in the console, what can I test first?
The only valid test is to run a telnet to ports 1610 or 1611 from device to its parent. If it doesn't work, then the agent won't be able to communicate with its parent.
- Connect to the child device locally, or by using RDP or by any other mean
- telnet to port 1610 and 1611 from the child to its relay
Important Note: ports 1610 and 1611 are the default ports, different ports might be set in the environment.
To know which ports does the parent use:
- select the parent in the console
- go to Agent Configuration > Relay - This is the most important port the device will never be able to connect to its relay (usually it'll be the same than "Port" of the "Communication" sub-node)
- go to Agent Configuration > Communication
- telnet from the parent to the device
- telnet from the device to any other device than the parent
- telnet from the device to any other port than the ports set in "Relay" or "Communication" (see above)
For more steps to troubleshoot connecting issues, please go through this case: Troubleshooting: why isn't my windows client connecting to its relay?