With the release of Remedyforce Winter 18 and BMC Discovery 11.3, we have significantly enhanced the integration between these two solutions to leverage their strengths and synergies. With the automated population and synchronization of information passed from BMC Discovery to Remedyforce, users have a wealth of information to support the many Service Management processes (ex. incident management, change management, configuration management, asset management, etc...).
The enhanced integration includes a wide range of new features which leverage the power of BMC Discovery including:
- Multi-Cloud Discovery delivering deep visibility into all your data center assets including the discovery of assets in the cloud (public and private).
- Additional Classes providing a more complete view of one’s datacenter by automatically importing all relevant classes currently discovered by BMC Discovery. Prior to this release, 6 classes were provided OOTB, we now offer 28 classes.
- Support for Applications and Services empowering customers to define and manage a group of records (ex. devices, software, components) to understand their relationships and dependencies. For example, think about your ERP system and what that service consists of. The grouping along with its relationships are passed to the Remedyforce CMDB and CMDB Explorer. Ultimately, this enhanced integration feature enables Remedyforce customers to leverage BMC Discovery’s application dependency mapping view within the Remedyforce CMDB.
- Relationships, a key strength of BMC Discovery, are now passed to the Remedyforce CMDB to not only identify what is in your data center, but how those devices and components relate to one another. Make sure your Change Manager is sitting down when you share this with him or her.
- Automated updates to track missing or inactive devices, components and relationships. No longer are you required to manually manage these types of updates to understand which records and relationships are active. In addition, an optional workflow rule is provided allowing you to change the status (or other fields) when a device is no longer active as per your definition. For example, when a server is no longer discovered by BMC Discovery after 5 scans (this number is configurable in BMC Discovery), the workflow rule can automatically change the CI status to “Decommissioned”. By changing the status, you can see the exceptions driven by BMC Discovery to determine if any additional actions are necessary.
- Pentaho is no longer required. The enhanced integration leverages APIs and administrative pages to simplify the setup and management.
This FAQ provides answers to the most common questions regarding the integration between Remedyforce and BMC Discovery, highlighting the latest integration enhancements delivered in Remedyforce Winter 18 and BMC Discovery 11.3.
Note: The Remedyforce integration supports both the on premise (BMC Discovery) and hosted (BMC Helix Discovery) solutions.
Feel free to contact me (email@example.com) or your BRM if you have any questions. Thanks