This document contains official content from the BMC Software Knowledge Base. It is automatically updated when the knowledge article is modified.
Remedy AR System Server
AR System Server
Remedy AR System Server, Atrium CMDB, IT Service Management 9.0 or higher.
Arerror.log shows “Failed to install artifact: <Install Path>\ARSystem\Conf\org.apache.felix.fileinstall-deploy.cfg". This can cause the Assignment Engine and certain components of Atrium Core to fail during install, upgrade, or patch.
This can negatively impact the functionality of components of the Remedy system such as Assignment Engine, CMDB, and ITSM applications.
Apache Felix File Install is a directory based OSGi management agent. It uses a directory in the file system to install and start a bundle when it is first placed there. It updates the bundle when you update the bundle file in the directory and, when the file is deleted, it will stop and uninstall the bundle. In the Remedy system, this directory is the “<Install Path>\ARSystem\Deploy” folder.
When the Apache Felix File Install agent starts with the Remedy AR System Server it initializes using the fileinstall-deploy.cfg file, then scans the “<Install Path>\ARSystem\Conf” directory to gather other system parameters. It then monitors the Deploy folder to install and start bundles that are placed there.
- If there are any parameters found in the Conf directory, like a random .txt file, then the Felix agent might not be to parse the file and initialization of the agent will fail.
- If the files found in the Deploy folder are conflicted or missing, then the Felix agent wont have anything to do.
To resolve the issue of the Felix File Installer agent initialization, please follow these steps:
- Please ensure that the “<Install Path>\ARSystem\Conf” does not have any additional files included in it. Including backup files. This directory should not be used for storing anything outside of the normal AR System Server. Please refer to a working environment or backup.
- Please ensure that the “<Install Path>\ARSystem\Deploy” folder has the necessary binaries inside. These could include the following
- Assignment Engine (com.bmc.arsys.assignmentEngine-9.1.07-SNAPSHOT.jar)
- Atrium CMDB (cmdb-9.1.07-SNAPSHOT.jar, cmdb-rest-9.1.07-SNAPSHOT.jar, and cmdb-services-9.1.07-SNAPSHOT.jar)
- Other components.
- Also please ensure that any old version of these files are either deleted or removed from this directory as only the files for your current version are necessary.
- If you do not have any files present in this folder, you can manually copy them from one of the following sources:
- The installer’s files.
- A recent patch/hotfix that has these files (not all patches and hotfixes will update these files).
- A working server.
- A backup.
How to enable additional logging:
If the above steps do not resolve your issue then please complete the following steps to enable advanced logging for the Felix Agent:
- Open the “org.apache.felix.fileinstall-deploy.cfg” found in the Conf directory.
- Update the following 2 lines to the value “4”
- Save the org.apache.felix.fileinstall-deploy.cfg file.
- Open the “logback_server.xml” found in the Conf directory.
- Search for “arerrorlogger” in the file, and change to debug.
- Save the logback_server.xml file.
- Now restart the Remedy AR System Server and reproduce the errors.
- The new logging should appear in arerror.log.
- You can examine these to troubleshoot them.
- Run the Log Zipper Utility.
- Create a BMC Support Case and attach the output from the Log Zipper Utility.