In 2014, BMC released the long awaited FootPrints Service Core version 12. And now, to kick off the new year, BMC is pleased to announce the arrival of the next release, version 12.1 along with the Migration Tools that will help get you from version 11.6 to version 12.1.
The 12.1 release includes a number of updates that I know are of interest to many of you - mainly because a number of them are based on your ideas that you posted right here on this community site (and more are coming...don't worry!). A few of the new features include:
The ability to Import and Update Users from an LDAP source - I know many of you have your user base in some LDAP source. Now you can easily create users while saving time and maintaining data integrity.
Subscribing to a Global Ticket - This one benefits both the agents and your business users alike. Now your end users can choose to receive updates around known issues. They get the information they want when it's available without taking their time and agent time to have yet another "what's the status of this" call, email or IM exchange. And the agents can associate an end user with a known issue as they report it - again, saves time for everyone involved and improves productivity and efficiency. I know that when I have an issue and someone says they will let me know when there's an update or a fix that I can count on getting the information as soon as it's available. It's automation working at it's finest here - and everyone's happy!
Edit Lock - I love this feature - mainly because it's been something I've had a bit of heartburn with lately in the world of shared docs on a site form a popular search engine company (will not name anyone to protect the - well you get the idea). We all need to edit docs - or in this case records, containers and items within Service Core. But if you're editing and someone else is editing and neither of you know you're both editing at the same time it becomes the lucky one who saves first...right? Or the one who saves last overwrites the one who saves first? Well, either way, it's a non-issue. Edit lock helps ensure that only one individual is editing a record, container or item at a time eliminating conflicts and improving data integrity. And, in my experience, a lot of rework. Enjoy Edit Lock!
Other features include using a checkbox as the basis for a field dependency, an embedded link to generate a 30-day license as soon as you install version 12.1, Internet Explorer 11 support, and more.
The highlight is, of course, the Migration Tools. There are a few things you'll want to know about these tools though - like where to get them, what each one does for you and even what it doesn't do, and maybe most importantly where you can go for more information and migration support. So here goes...
1. What tools are available? - . The Migration Advisor, the Export Tool and the Import Tool.
- Migration Advisor - The Migration Advisor analyzes your existing 11.6 installation (read-only) and creates a customized project plan providing steps to complete before using the other migration tools. The report will provide you data critical in determining what you may choose to migrate. Some items detailed include what will migrate as is, what will migrate with changes, and what will not migrate at this time as well as the time it will take to complete the migration and the disk space required.
- Export Tool - The Export Tool will export the selected configurations and data from version 11.6 to an XML format.
- Import Tool - The Import Tool will import the selected configuration and data from the XML file into your v12.1 installation
2. Where can I get these tools? - From Technical Support. Simply call and they will provide first the Migration Advisor. Once you have the report send that back and they will review your options and plan and provide you with the Export Tool.
3. What support is available to me for planning and migration? - Lots! That's the great news...There's Tech Support of course - but more than that, FootPrints Service Core now participates in BMC's Assisted Migration Operations (AMIGOS) Program. The AMIGOS Program assists customers in detailed migration planning and works with you one-on-one to ensure your migration is a success. Joining this program is simple - just tell the Tech Support representative that you'd like to participate and you're in! In addition, BMC expert Consultants are available and several BMC Certified Partners globally are standing by to assist you in making the move to version 12.
4. Where can I find more details and information about these great Migration Tools? - There are several sources including your account team, this community site of course and the FootPrints Service Core product Resources page on www.bmc.com/it-solutions/footprints-service-core.html.
All in all - the 12.1 release is jam packed and designed to help you ensure that making 2015 the year you move to version 12 is a great one all the way around!
I for one would love to hear your plans for moving to version 12. Have you downloaded version 12.1 yet? (Available on the support page.) Have you requested and run the Migration Advisor or already built your plan? Are you migrating configurations, data or have you decided to start fresh? Let me know and definitely leverage the experts on this community throughout your version 12 journey.