Three is the perfect number. I’ve been with BMC for three years and Control-M 20 is the third version I’ve been pleased to take part in. To keep with that theme, I’ll provide three reasons to upgrade to Control-M 20.
BMC’s overall strategy focuses on five technology tenets to help companies achieve success and become an Autonomous Digital Enterprise. Control-M is the driver behind three of those tenets: automation everywhere, enterprise DevOps and data-driven business.
And Control-M 20 advances the BMC strategy by responding to three challenges:
- Market demand for faster time to market for new digital capabilities is accelerating.
- Pressure to manage costs and increase efficiency is a constant requirement.
- Dev/product teams are increasingly turning to modern technologies such as containers, Kubernetes and cloud to improve application development and increase deployment velocity.
In this article I will focus on a few Control-M 20 key features that help IT Ops leaders to solve the above challenges. Hopefully we have captured features that are relevant for most of the readers. For an entire list of features, you can refer to the following document: Control-M 20 Release Notes.
Control-M 20 unlocks business agility
What organization is not seeking agility today? No matter the sector, either banking and finance, retail, or manufacturing, every company is building a customer-centric culture to provide their customers with an e-commerce type experience. They need to respond with agility to meet customer expectations, delivering the goods and services at the right time and at a competitive price. And even more, they need to anticipate customer expectations by transforming customer data into actionable insights.
Control-M 20 helps provide agility by empowering developers with self-service orchestration capabilities so they can develop their applications with the production in mind, facilitating operations’ tasks and speeding up the entire application lifecycle.
Three key features, among the others, contribute to this strategic theme and provide:
- More developer empowerment – with controlled administration delegation. With the Role-based Administration feature, developers can be authorized to manage more objects in their development stack, with fully autonomy but controlled access, so they cannot break other teams’ work. Because they don’t need to submit requests to IT, their applications flow faster throughout their lifecycle and get faster into production. One of our customers said: “The Role-based Administration and Automation API will provide more freedom for customers to manage their connection (e.g. bank users can update passwords without sharing it with our team)” – Johann Vermeulen, IT Operations Analyst, BMW South Africa.
- More sophisticated orchestration - with expanded Automation API functionality. New job types, as well as new job information and new Control-M functions empower developers to expand the orchestration and bring operational instrumentation into more sophisticated application workflows, for faster-time-to-market of their applications and digital services.
- Faster development/deployment of workflows - with the new MFT Enterprise LDAP integration. This integration introduces an external authentication method for developers or other teams to develop and deploy file transfer workflows with reduced risk and improved security.
Control-M 20 manages costs and increases efficiency
Increasing costs compete and cause tension with agility. It’s a challenge to allocate investment between optimizing current business practices and investment needed for innovation.
Control-M 20 includes features to help with agility and cost management. Hereafter are but a few examples among the many about how this is accomplished.
- Reduced Control-M management cost – with the centralized management of connection profiles. The Centralized Connection Profile feature eliminates all the redundant configuration effort required to connect with all the local servers running a certain type of jobs. Furthermore, since the information is kept centrally, disaster recovery as well as migration and upgrade scenarios can be speed up.
- Reduced Control-M onboarding cost – through an expanded and intuitive web interface including welcome pages for all tools and major functionalities, integrated guides and how-to-videos. Here is a testimonial from Nvidia Corporation customer: “We plan to roll out Control-M usage to all our SAP personnel this year using the Web Interface. I see that, the expanded capabilities in Control-M 20 Web, especially in planning and monitoring, will enable us to accelerate and simplify on-boarding them all" – Bala Gampa, Enterprise Architect & SAP Technical Expert, Nvidia.
- Eliminated outage risks when transferring external business partners data - with the Active-Active High Availability in MFT Enterprise architecture. This feature delivers high availability with redundant gateways and hubs and provides an always-up environment that can also offer load balancing capability.
Control-M 20 generates business value from technology modernization
Companies have transformed the IT infrastructure into a modern dynamic cloud environment capable of supporting business growth in a cost-effective way. Developers leverage “next gen” architecture like, Docker, Kubernetes and other Platform-as-a-Service technologies to handle the increasing volume of applications with agility and high quality. However, until applications and data get to production, no value is generated for the business. Production is where applications deliver value or actionable insights to support strategic decisions. It’s Control-M that generates business value from technology modernization. In particular:
- Control-M Automation API operationalize containerized applications, bringing functionalities such as single point of control, service level management and integrated file transfer into those applications and making them production-ready.
- Control-M Application Integrator helps integrating modern technologies across hybrid environments driving them to deliver the final value as business services.
Here below are some key enhancements in Automation API and Application Integrator.
- Simplify complex containers productization - through new Automation API. They are delivered in an API-first strategy, through continuous monthly releases. Here is one of our customers’ quote: “Automation API enhancements will allow us to integrate Control-M with our enterprise applications. This will close the gap between all of our apps and data points and position Control-m as a central hub for process flows - as I feel it should be. API Integration is the fast lane and Control-M 20 will make it easier to put the pedal to the metal” – Jonathan Spottswood, Tech Lead, Enterprise Workload Orchestration, GEHA.
- Integrate Google Cloud services into hybrid orchestration – with an out-of-the-box service account authentication for Google Cloud Platform. You will be able to build new integrations into services or microservices on the Google Cloud Platform in an easier and more secure way.
Control-M has evolved and continues to evolve to help organizations in their journey to get better in agility, customer-centricity, actionable insights. In particular, Control-M 20 solves faster time-to-market challenge, manages costs and increases efficiency, and generates business value from technology modernization.