Simplify life with Control-M Conversion Tool
If you’re reading this, it’s probably not because you are passionate about conversion technology. Most likely, you’re struggling with one (or more) of the following situations:
You are spending too much time and effort managing a mix of automation solutions, and can’t keep up with the rate of change demanded by your company’s modernization initiatives
- You recognize that a single application workflow orchestration product spanning multi-cloud, on-premise and hybrid environments is critical for innovation, but you’re struggling with how to get there
- Your organization has adopted Control-M as corporate standard, but other schedulers that break standards are being used in pockets of the organization
Don’t worry, there’s a solution to all these challenges! Control-M has a powerful Conversion Tool that can convert data from any automation vendor right out of the box, with minimal effort and risk. Combine that with the expertise of a dedicated Control-M specialist, and you’ll have a smooth and safe migration.
Typically, companies avoid migrations, in part because they fear the risks don’t outweigh the benefits.
“If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it,” seems to be a common mindset. So, despite all the extra work and costs, organizations stick with the problems they know to avoid migration efforts .
It’s true, depending on the data volumes and complexity, migration could be a major change management project, impacting mission-critical services and requiring high-level approval, budget allocation, skill selection, and, most importantly, risk to production management. But it doesn’t have to be.
Common concerns and fears include:
- Fear of complexity and risk to the organization
- Fear of unpredictability (migration duration, results and downtime)
- Concerns about the skills and resources needed to complete a conversion
The problem with maintaining the status quo, is that it perpetuates a situation that can result in critical business failures and stall innovation efforts. Here are a few tips on how to use Control-M Conversion Tool to resolve all these common concerns and fears:
- Take a phased approach - the Control-M Conversion Tool wizard is extremely easy to deploy, and takes you through a phased approach to migration. This reduces complexity and minimizes the risk of costly errors that can happen in manual conversions. You can proceed with confidence because you will have a clear view of what you need to do. And because you are breaking the project into smaller phases that can be reviewed and iterated, you can trust that quality is not being sacrificed. Furthermore, you can control your migration by splitting data into chunks. Migrate application by application, or business flow by business flow, as the migration process allows you to go through workload chains and dependencies.
- Use reports to minimize uncertainty - there are four major phases to every migration project: analysis, conversion, verification and load. Control-M Conversion Tool produces reports at along the way so you can make decisions, repeat stages if necessary, and incrementally refine the results. These reports help you forecast migration duration, results and downtime.
- In the analysis, Control-M analyzes, categorizes and sizes input data, and generates reports that help forecast conversion duration and effort.
- In the conversion phase, Control-M shows you the results, with details on how much data was converted successfully, and what data may require manual adjustments. Messages and recommended actions drive you through iterations until you are satisfied with the results.
- The verification phase is critical to reducing the downtime associated with your conversion. During this phase, you can use reports to compare schedules and workflows with your forecast plans, so you can determine the optimal time to complete your migration, minimizing risks and downtime.
- Don’t worry about having the right skills or resources, you’re not alone - our experts have successfully helped many customers complete migration projects. The team can provide support throughout the entire migration, ensuring that your objectives are met at each stage. As part of our continuous learning and continuous delivery approach, we are constantly improving Control-M Conversion Tool based on customer feedback. Every three weeks updates are delivered and can be automatically applied to your current installation, so you get the best possible conversion efficiency.
Out-of-the-box conversions and beyond
Control-M Conversion Tool offers out-of-the-box rules to convert from the most common schedulers, workload automation products, and applications, and we are constantly adding new solutions and versions. But what really differentiates Control-M from other products is our ability to extend the range of covered solutions to any type of commercial, open-source or homemade scheduling and workload automation tool. In fact, in addition to out-of-the-box conversion rules, users can develop their own rules, through the self-conversion process.
Self conversion puts you in control
With Control-M’s self-conversion capabilities you can convert from any product not covered out of the box. It’s essentially a development framework anyone can use to build their own conversions. Any scheduler or workload automation product, application, or homegrown product with data that can be extracted in XML, JSON, or CSV format, can be converted into Control-M, through easy-to-create conversion rules.
You just need to have basic knowledge of the Groovy language, an understanding of Control-M artifacts (folders, jobs, job types, etc.) and the ability to read Control-M APIs. If you don’t have these pre-requisites, a one-hour workshop with our experts is enough for you to get started. With that, you will be able to identify input data scheduling artifacts – XML elements and attributes – and build your scheduling rules to convert into Control-M data.
To build your conversion rules, you can use a graphical or script mode. The graphical mode requires minimal user input (just XML tags for input elements and attributes to be converted) and creates straightforward conversion rules. If you want to create more sophisticated rule logic, you can switch to script mode, which generates conversion rules code (Control-M APIs + Groovy scripting) available for additional coding. We also have context-sensitive resources and rich sets of samples to help you.
At the heart of the self-conversion process is Control-M’s APIs. They allow you to navigate and retrieve data from the XML document, and create Control-M objects with those elements.
Control-M conversion APIs are also exposed through GitHub to external parties and customers, creating an extensible platform ecosystem where everyone can participate, create and share new conversions and user experiences. You can access it here: https://github.com/controlm
To orchestrate all your application workflows through a centralized interface, you have to migrate from old software systems. But without the right tools and skills, it can be difficult and risky. Control-M provides powerful conversion resources to help you automate and test any data conversion, either through native or user-coded rules. And anytime you need support, our experienced professionals can help you successfully complete data migration projects and simplify the management of your business processes.
To learn more about Control-M Conversion Tool and self-conversion: