BMC TrueSight Capacity Optimization 10.3 is now released and many customers are planning or already in process to upgrade their environment from BCO 9.5.X or BMC TrueSight CO 10.0.X to 10.3. Due to environmental constraints it is not always possible to perform the installation with a user interface and hence as an alternative you can use silent installation option. The silent installer is useful if you want to add the installation of product to your own install script or push out the installation on multiple machines. The silent install feature allows you to enter installation parameters into a file that is read in by the installation program instead of typing them in response to each installation prompt.
In this blog, I will share sample silent installer configuration file for Typical install on the First Server: Install the Application Server + ETL Engine – All component for Postgres database. Before you begin with upgrade please go through our documentation page, Preparing to upgrade the Application server and Upgrading Application server and components
- Login to your Application Server with already existing BMC TrueSight Capacity Optimization user (for example, cpit)
- Create a temporary folder to store TrueSight CO 10.3 installation files (for example, /opt/cpitinstall)
- Download package TSCO_AppServer_ver10.3.00_[OSversion]_[arch].tar.gz from EPD site into this temporary folder - /opt/cpitinstall
- Use tar –xvf to extract .gz file.
tar -xvf TSCO_AppServer_ver10.3.00_[OSversion]_[arch].tar.gz
After extracting installation files change working directory as [Installation_file_path]/BCO/Disk1/silentInstallTemplates
cd /opt/cpitinstall /BCO/Disk1/silentInstallTemplates
6. Take backup of BCO_FIRST_SERVER_TYPICAL.txt
cp BCO_FIRST_SERVER_TYPICAL.txt BCO_FIRST_SERVER_TYPICAL_backup.txt
7. Open BCO_FIRST_SERVER_TYPICAL_backup.txt in a text editor, enter your environment specific values against default installation parameters and options that you would like to customize, and save the file.
8. In case of product upgrade -J BCO_DB_CREATE_SCHEMA option is ‘false’ by default but if there are any database changes then you need to specify encrypted password in BCO_DB_PASSWORD and must uncomment and update the following parameters as per your current BMC TrueSight Capacity Optimization installation: #Tablespaces, #Console Schema, #Views Schema, and #Reporting User.
9. To generate encrypted database password execute [Installation_file_path]/BCO/Disk1/BCOEncoder.sh which is shipped with Installer
10. Sample BCO_FIRST_SERVER_TYPICAL_backup.txt is attached with this article. Parameters of all configuration files are explained on our documentation page.
11. Change the working directory back to [Installation_file_path]/BCO/Disk1 and type the following command to launch the silent upgrade using a config file and upgrade the product on your machine:
./setup.sh -i silent -DOPTIONS_FILE=<file path>/<config file name>.txt
./setup.sh -i silent -DOPTIONS_FILE=/opt/cpitinstall/BCO/Disk1/silentInstallTemplates/BCO_FIRST_SERVER_TYPICAL_backup.txt
12. If the silent upgrade completes successfully, the upgrade will exit with no notifications, and the shell prompt will display the blinking cursor.
13. Check /tmp/bco_install_log.txt to verify if upgrade is successful. For successful installation you will see this message,
(Aug 26 2015 05:24:03.297 AM -0500),INFO,com.bmc.install.utility.logging.Log,
BMC TrueSight Capacity Optimization 10.3.00 install succeeded.
Missed previous blog posting? Find them here: BMC TrueSight Support Blogs
The blogs share the experience of BMC Customer Support on how to understand and best use particular product features. You can read more about the goals of Pulse Blogs in About the Customer Support Community. These blogs are posted in the individual product community, but as many community members have multiple BMC ProactiveNet products, this document provides a summary and links to these posts to make them easier to find.
I hope this blog was helpful. Share your experiences by rating this post or adding a comment, you can also suggest topics which you like us to cover in future.