Track-It! 2018 uses BMC Client Management for its Discovery, Auditing, Remote Control, Patch, Deployment, Compliance and other asset management related functions and one question that has come up a few times now is:
How do I manually install a Client Management Agent on a system?
Sometimes there are situations where a system isn't available on the network to have the Agent automatically pushed. The owner is traveling, works remotely or works in a secure environment where they do not always have external network access. In those cases it is sometimes necessary to manually install the Agent on the system instead of relying on the automatic push.
In BMC Client Management, the "Audit" (as it was known in Track-It! 11) is referred to as the "Agent" and the "Agent" is deployed or modified using what is referred to as a "Rollout". A Rollout can be used to deploy agents, change settings on agents or even remove agents. If you search through the Client Management docs for Rollout you should find more info on them. The reason I am telling you this is because these Rollouts are packaged as an application that has the commands you want executed during that Rollout and those applications can be downloaded from the Client Management server directly onto a device you want to scan or onto a portable drive to be distributed.
To access the Rollouts and download the application, point your browser to https://<clientmanagementserver>:1610/rollout
There are a few important things to note here.
- Notice the HTTPS on the URL. This is required. If you type HTTP, it will not work.
- The name of the <clientmanagementserver> might be the same as your Track-It! server, might be a different server, or might need to be accessed by IP address. It depends on your environment and how you set it up. You can look under the Asset Management settings in Track-It! 2018 to see the Client Management server info of the server you are connected to if you need.
- Notice the default Client Management port 1610. If you have customized this setting, yours may be different.
- You will need to know the admin user account for your BMC Client Management server to log into the Rollout page. (you may need to contact our support team for help in figuring that out since we don't use the Client Management console directly much from Track-It!)
- Once you are logged in, you will see a list of all the Rollouts and be able to download the one you need. For your particular case, you would use the Windows agent Rollout with the Rollout Type of Install. (see screen shot of a test server below)