Track-It! 20.20.01 was just released with advanced Inventory capabilities like Automated Network Discovery,Deploy software consistently and easily,Remote management and more.
In this blog we would like to talk about some best practices for managing these capabilities effectively. I am documenting these best practices based on my support experiences handling Track-It! Inventory related issues and configurations.
I will keep adding to this blog as i get it from talking to our Track-It! customers. Let's begin...
1. Before you start discovering assets and running audits, make sure you have enough Inventory licenses. License details can be checked under the Application Settings > Product Updates > License Update. Check the real time consumption of your existing licenses in Track-It! by clicking Refresh in the License Usage section.
2. Consider sizing and scalability requirements for BCM. For example if you have more than 2000 devices/nodes then install the BMC Client Management separately on a different server. See Hardware requirements - Documentation for BMC Client Management 12.8 - BMC Documentation
3. Track-It! allows you to discovery assets by entering IP addresses and Subnets. Start by entering small number of Subnets. Do not put the entire IP address range of your company network like 10.10.1.1-10.10.1.255
4. For Switches, VOIP, Routers, Printers that have already been discovered during the previous network discovery run, add their IP addresses in the Exclude List to prevent then from being rediscovered during every scan.
5. Make sure to add credentials for each device type like Windows, Linux and Hyper-V, Mac OS
6. Setup a Weekly or Monthly Discovery Schedule instead of Daily Schedule to avoid spamming the network with these discovery scans everyday unless you are sure that new assets are added to your network everyday.
7. Track-It! uses BCM ports like 1-5,22,23,35,80,135,137,139,443,445,515,9100-9102 and UDP ports 161. Make sure to allow your Network firewall to allow incoming and outgoing traffic on these ports. See Which ports do I need to exclude for asset Discovery on the scanner on customer’s environment: Asset discovery: prerequisites to get remote inventories from windows clients
8. If Scan returns unreachable or even after providing the credentials it's not able to collect the information then have a look at this doc: DRZKZ-1743: Windows SMB2 is not supported in Asset Discovery Network Scans
9. Consider setting up multiple scanners and Relays. For small to medium sized networks the auto installed scanner (The Track-It! Server itself) can discover and audit all assets. However, if your organization has a large network or is split across multiple locations, you may require a more sophisticated scanner setup.
By default your master relay (or the first-level relay that was first installed) is automatically defined as the asset discovery scanner. But you can also define any other device on which the CM agent is already installed as your scanner.See How to define additional scanner in BCM Console Defining the asset discovery scanner - Documentation for BMC Client Management 12.8 - BMC Documentation
10. Setup Asset Synchronization to synchronize the discovered assets and their audited information from BMC Client Management to Track-It!. You can define Daily sync to occur during non business hours.
11. Consider whether you want the CM agent installed automatically during the Network Discovery or Manually. For large networks choose to install the CM Agent automatically. make sure to enter the Agent credentials under Agent configurations in Track-It! Defining credentials to deploy an agent on assets - Documentation for Track-It! 20.20 - BMC Documentation
- How asset discovery works: https://communities.bmc.com/docs/DOC-104470
- Improve Asset Discovery scan for computers detection https://communities.bmc.com/docs/DOC-99973
Pre-requisites (Important:) https://communities.bmc.com/docs/DOC-27256
Stay tuned for more and thanks for reading the article. Please rate the blog and add comments to share your experiences.