“A picture is worth a thousand words” is a well-known adage. When a client faces an error in an IT service, they not only submit an incident, but also add attachments that often carry additional context of the error. It may be a screenshot of an error message, or a log file that captures details staff require for resolving the issue. In any case, it is very important for staff to be made aware of the existence of attachments on incidents. If they reach out to the client asking for a screenshot of an error message to be shared, it is often annoying for the client to be asked for this information when they have already attached it to the incident. To be fair to the staff, they may have missed the attachment because it was not intuitive enough in the Console that the incident did have an attachment. The Remedyforce Summer 19 release has a solution to this problem.
What is an Attachment flag and why is it required
In Remedyforce Console list view, users could not identify records that had attachments. From Summer 19 onwards, the list view displays an attachment icon ( ) in the Attachments column. This paperclip icon (similar to Outlook) is a visual indicator to identify records that have attachments. The icon is available for all views and is applicable for both Files and Attachments.
How to enable the Attachment flag feature
The feature is available by default, that is, the Attachment field is available in the Column Header fieldset and, is therefore, available in the list view.
Customers must add Attachments field to the console list view. Note that the Attachment icon is displayed only for the new records. For older records, the icon is displayed only if you modify the records by adding or removing the attachments
If you want to see the Attachment icon for all older records, then you must run a script to update the attachment count. You can view the Knowledge Article for the same.
How the Attachment flag works
This feature is applicable for the list view of all the following modules and for both Attachments and Files.
- Service Request
- Change Request
- Release and
One new field Attachments, is introduced for this feature.
- Is an Image Formula field that is used as a visual indicator to show whether a record has attachments or not.
- Is added to the Column Header fieldset by default and hence is available to the list view. Displays ( ) for records that have attachments.
- Adding or deleting an attachment from different sources like email, manually from UI (console/standard layout), REST API, data loader, and so on; also modifies the Last Modified Date of the parent record.
On hovering the mouse over the Attachment icon, a tooltip is displayed with the following information:
- Record ID
- Attachment count
- Attachment details
- See All link
Attachment details include the following information:
- Size of the file
- Date and time when the file was attached
- Who attached the file
If a record has more than five attachments, which is rare, just the latest five attachments are shown in the tooltip.
To view all attachments, click the See All link that opens the Attachments window.
You can view the attachment by clicking the file name that is displayed in the tooltip or in the Attachments window that opens when you click the See All link. Attachment is downloaded or opened in a new tab as per the preference set by you.
You can perform sorting on the Attachment column, but you cannot perform filtering on it.
- Records are sorted based on whether the Attachment icon is present or not.
- Secondary sorting is based on Last Modified Date of the record.
The Attachments column is excluded from the restriction of adding a maximum of 15 columns to the Column Headers fieldset, that is, along with the Attachment field, you can add another 15 fields in the list view columns.
Attachment flag and Record Highlighting feature
If the Record Highlighting feature is enabled, adding attachments follow all conditions that are applicable for the Record Highlighting feature.
- A record is highlighted or shown as bold (as per the highlighting feature), if:
- The user who is watching that record is a staff or the owner of that record.
- An attachment has been added or deleted by another user.
- A record is not highlighted for any user in case the record is only assigned to a queue and the Staff field is empty.
- The incident continues to be highlighted in bold until:
- The staff user modifies fields on the form and saves the record
- Adds a New Action record in Incident History
- Adds or deletes any attachments
For more information about the Record Highlighting feature, see Highlighting new and updated incidents and service requests in list views.
Opting out the Attachment feature
The Attachments flag feature (paper clip icon column) will be enabled by default for both fresh install and upgrade users.
In order to disable it, we have provided a custom setting DisableAttachmentsInConsoleList.
If you disable the feature, additionally you will need to explicitly remove the Attachments column (paper clip icon column) from the Remedyforce Console list view.
- Attachment field is made available in all other fieldsets along with Column header fieldset.
- Signature images in the email are also considered as an attachment on the record.
- Adding or deleting an attachment from different sources like email, manually from UI (console/standard layout), REST API, data loader, and so on; also modifies the Last Modified Date of the parent record. Hence ensure that you do not add any criteria in the Workflows, Process Builder, or Custom Trigger that is based on the last modified date.
- Sorting can be performed on the Attachment column, however filtering is not available on it.
- Mouse hovering on the Attachment icon shows a tooltip only for Remedyforce Console list views and Incident Console.
- If Attachment field is added in any other fieldset or page layout, then it will show non clickable Attachment icon i.e. Paper clip icon without any tool tip.
- Attachment field column can be placed at any position in the list view columns.
- If a file name is too long, only the first 100 characters of the name are shown.
- In case if it takes a long time for the list to load, a Loading icon is displayed.
Settings applicable for this feature
- Highlighting of Records in List View settings through Remedyforce Administration > Application Settings > Console.
- Email Signature Filter Rules settings through Remedyforce Administration > Configure Email > Email Conversation Settings.
- Custom setting to opt out - DisableAttachmentsInConsoleList.: With this custom setting, you can disable the Attachments flag feature (paper clip icon column) in Remedyforce Console list view in the following cases. Create the custom setting and set its value to True.
- If you do not want any change in the last modified date which prompts a user to reload their record for every change made.
- If you do not want any impact on any criteria in Workflows, Process Builder, or Custom Trigger that is based on the last modified date.
Thank you for reading this blog. I look forward to hear your thoughts, feedback after using this feature, and any enhancement you would like to see around this feature.
If you need further information, you can refer following links:
- Highlighting new and updated incidents and service requests in list views
- Settings for email conversation
fields are made available in all other fieldsets along with Column header fieldset.