What is the CI lookup filter enhancement
Starting from the Summer 18 release, you can select which CIs and assets should be displayed to a client when the client submits a ticket in Self Service 3.0. You can use this feature to display only the relevant CIs and assets to clients.
For example, consider you have a set of shared devices like printers or projectors that should be shown to all the clients. You can link the shared devices to the account of the clients and configure the option to show the clients all CIs and assets of this account.
Purpose of this enhancement
You can define BMC Remedyforce lookup filters on out-of-the-box (OOTB) and custom lookup fields and use these lookup fields in different forms that are displayed in Remedyforce Console, Task Console, and Incident Console tabs. For each lookup filter, you can define multiple criteria and specify a filter logic using the AND or OR conditions.
In previous releases of Self Service 3.0, CI visibility could not be restricted based on the CIs linked to a client or linked to a client’s account. Clients had to browse through the entire list of CIs, most of which were not relevant to them. This problem was acute for Managed Service Providers who serve multiple accounts where visibility of CIs had to be restricted to other accounts or clients.
In the default Configuration Item or Service lookup fields in the Self Service Incident form, a client could see the linked CIs. However, for a custom CI lookup on CMDB, it showed all CIs in the CMDB database in Self Service.
Even after using an option to apply lookup filter for Self Service, CI and assets visibility could not be restricted.
To restrict the CI and assets visibility, we have provided a setting that can be applied while defining a lookup filter. This setting provides more flexibility to administrators on what CIs and assets should be exposed or hidden.
The setting can be applied to both custom lookups and the OOTB lookups on the CMDB Base Element, Configuration Item, Service, Service Offering.
Administrators can use the setting to configure the visibility of CIs and assets as follows:
- Display CIs and assets that are linked to a client
- Display CIs and assets that are linked to a client’s account
- Display CIs and assets that are linked to both client and client’s account
- Display all CIs and assets
How to configure the setting
Administrators can configure the setting from Remedyforce Administration > Application Settings> Lookup Filters > Show records linked to. Note that the Show records linked to option is available only if while creating a lookup filter for Base Element on the Incident object the Apply In Self Service option is selected. This additional filter is applicable only for Self Service 3.0.
Select one of the following options to configure which CIs and assets are displayed to a client when the client submits a ticket in Self Service 3.0:
- Client: Displays those CIs and assets that are linked to a client.
- Client's Account: Displays those CIs and assets that are linked to a client's account. If the client does not have a linked account, CIs and assets that are linked to the client are displayed.
Note: If Client & Client's Account check-boxes are selected, CIs associated to Client as well as Client's account will be shown.
- All: Displays all CIs and assets. When you select this option, the Client and the Client's Account check boxes are automatically cleared and made unavailable. This option is the least restrictive of all other options, where restriction of the CIs and assets is not required.
The following image shows these options in the Lookup Filters tab.
- For the OOTB lookups, CIs associated with client are displayed.
- For custom lookups, all CIs from the Base Element object are displayed.
- Upgrade scenarios will continue to behave like the current implementation.
- The newly created OOTB lookups on Base element object displays CIs associated to a client. Custom lookups for the same displays all CIs if no lookup filter is created on them.
- While creating lookup filters, at least one filter criteria is mandatory. Administrators must create a filter that is applicable in Self Service and add at least one filter criteria (could be dummy criteria such as Class != <BLANK>) to show all CIs linked with a client’s account.
- These filters will be applicable along with the current filter criteria. While creating new lookup filter for Base Element field, if Apply In Self Service is selected, then Client is the default option for the setting Show records linked to. However, administrator can change this to any other option as required. Rest of the lookup filter functionality will work as is.
Thank you for reading this blog. I would love to hear your thoughts for the same. If you need further information you can refer following links:
Related Ideas - Custom CI Lookups - SelfService filtering