Welcome to May’s new AR Server Blog post and we are discussing Archiving.
The Archiving feature available with BMC Remedy ITSM helps to maintain system hygiene and performance. It’s the feature with which you can have control over the growing data in the system.
The Archiving feature archives transaction data for the following BMC Remedy ITSM applications and components:
- BMC Change Management
- BMC Knowledge Management
- BMC Service Desk
- BMC Service Request Management Approval
- BMC Remedy AR System Email Messages
The following record types are not archived:
- BMC Requester console records
- Foundation data
- Process setup
Important thing to note here is, we do not archive system forms like User, Group, Server Statistics and Server Events by using copy to archive and delete from source because these forms use reserved fields that should exist only on one form in remedy AR System.
Archiving data regularly provides the following benefits:
- Reduces the size of your production data sets
- Improves overall system performance (for example, searches run more quickly, because they look only at production data and not at archived data)
- Enforces organizational data-retention policies
Using the AR System Archive Manager Console, you can administer the archiving policies that tells the system when to move records from the production forms to the archive forms.
Continuous archiving employs a mechanism that automatically archives records, by default, every 24 hours. Continuously archiving records limits the strain an archive run has on the system. By limiting the strain on the system, you help to ensure performance and reliability compared to archiving a larger volume of records, for example, every three months.
Archive Manager console is display only form. It gets data from back end form AR System Archive Policy which is a regular form. There are workflows triggered from back end to get the required data to Archive Manager Console.
By default Archiving is not enabled on the form.
To Enable Archiving, go-to Definitions tab and enable Archive. Select the Archive Type example: Copy to Archive and Delete from Source.
Then check the checkbox ‘Include in Archive Policy’ and Save.
Once the archiving is enabled, archive policy (Test Archive) is visible in Archive Manager Console.
Then the policy can be controlled using Archive Manager Console example: Disable/Re-enable policy/Modify the qualification/Run policy on demand, etc.
The "Submit Date" on the archive form does not represent the Create date of a record, it will show the date when the archive record was created. This is a designed behavior.
However Original Request ID and Create Date of archived records is still there and its copied to different Field ID on archive form and they are preserved in the archive form
Archiving is supported for Regular and View forms only and not supported for Display only, vendor or join forms.
Since remedy 9.x Archive forms are auto generated which means the forms already exists in the system.
If by any chance, you are unable to see the archive form, can go-to form definitions tab in Developer Studio and enable the archive policy.
Associations are used when we want to establish a relationship between two or more forms in BMC Remedy Developer Studio. This relationship ensures that all the related form data is archived along with the main form when we run the archive process.
To define associations that need to follow during form archive:
- Open the form with which you want to archive
- Select the Definitions tab
- Expand the Associations to Follow for Archive panel
- Select the option example: ‘Selected’. Then the archive qualification given for Parent form will be used for all records from associated forms for archiving, which are selected.
- Save the form
Example: When association is enabled for the AR System Email Messages form:
Note: We cannot create associations for join forms and archive forms.
This feature is introduced in Remedy 1902.
- It Increases Archive Operation Throughput
- Used when Archiving many records
- Multiple threads simultaneously Archive each form
- Num-Archive-Threads is the parameter configured from Centralized Configuration
- To configure multi-threaded archiving, go-to AR System Administration Console --> System -->General --> Centralized configuration --> Select com.bmc.arsys.server.shared and add Num-Archive-Threads
- Default value can be configured is 4. AR service restart is not required for changes to take effect
- However, one Form is Archived at a time. i.e. A record from a form will be archived based on the given qualification, then its associated record and then the next record from the form will be archived
Log snapshot of Multi-threaded Archiving. The archive log is same in all 9.x versions of remedy, except since 1902 as due to multi-threaded archiving. It will show the number of worker threads for archival.
Reference Information for additional details