Identifying Critical Events
The first step to being able to manage the logs in your environment is understanding the messages that the Remedy AR System will produce. Please see the link below for the logs found in Remedy AR System Server:
Once you’ve reviewed and understand the log events that are recorded in the AR System Logs, then you can review your system requirements to understand what is important to you. Here is a example of a requirement that might have logging requirements:
- The Remedy ITSM System must be available during all working hours, Monday-Friday from 6AM-6PM.
This requirement indicates that you would have a service level agreement to provide this service regularly. This would indicate that you would want to be alerted if the server process ever terminated. In the documentation above there are several messages that would be thrown based on a action like this, here are a few:
- 20 Note - BMC Remedy AR System server terminated when a signal/exception was received by the server.
- 21 Note - BMC Remedy AR System server terminated — fatal error occurred in ARSERVER.
- 32 Note - BMC Remedy AR System server terminated normally.
These three messages would indicate that the system server stopped due to a signal being sent to stop the server and then a fatal internal error while the server was running. Through this process of knowing and understanding the messages, understanding your requirements, and then relating the two, you can start to identify which log events are important to your organization to meet your business requirements.
BMC Support can not help identify what events are important to your organization. This is specifically in relation to the requirements for your system. If there are any questions about which log events relate to which requirements, please consult the documentation above which review all known error messages and your system requirements.
Common Critical Events in Remedy AR System
This is a list of common events that customers have wanted to identify in the past:
- When the system shuts down:
- 20 Note - BMC Remedy AR System server terminated when a signal/exception was received by the server
- 21 Note - BMC Remedy AR System server terminated — fatal error occurred in ARSERVER
- 32 Note - BMC Remedy AR System server terminated normally
- When the system has a non-fatal internal error:
- 35 Error - Another copy of the server is already running on the same RPC socket
- 36 Error - The database is not the expected version (may need to run upgrade program)
- 41 Warning - Unrecognized command line argument — ignoring command line and continuing
- 48 Error - Insufficient space for the response to be returned (minimum of 4,096 bytes)
- 49 Error - Internal error: The request ID is invalid
- 68 Warning - RPC environment variable is out of legal range (390600, 390603, 390619 - 390669, 390680 - 390694)
- 90 Error - Cannot establish a network connection to the BMC Remedy AR System server
- 91 Error - RPC call failed
- 92 Error - Timeout during database update
- 93 Error - Timeout during data retrieval due to busy server — retry the operation
- 94 Error - Timeout during database query — consider using more specific search criteria to narrow the results, and retry the operation
- 95 Error - RPC and sockets initialization failure
- 99 Error - The same AR System Server ID is found on two different servers — neither will be accessible until one is shut down and tools restarted
- When a user logs in:
- <USER> FIXED GRANT WRITE <LogOnName>
- When a user consumes a application license:
- 31 Note - The new user was issued a fixed license of the following type: <licenseType>
- 75 Warning - No floating write license tokens are available. Currently accessing the system in read-only mode
- 76 Note - A write token has become available and has been allocated to you — access has been upgraded to write access
- 77 Warning - No free floating full text license tokens are available. Currently accessing the system without full text search capability
- 78 Note - A full text token has become available and has been allocated to you — access has been upgraded to allow full text searching
- When a user enter incorrect credentials:
- 59 Warning - Your login failed, but connected as a guest user
- When a user attempts to access information they don’t have access to:
- 50 Warning - You have no permission to this field
- 53 Warning - Administrator access required to get permission information
- 60 Warning - You do not have read access to field
- 61 Warning - You do not have read access to this field on this record
- 62 Warning - You do not have access to the requested record
- 71 Warning - Only the Administrator has access to this active link
- When the system has a file system error:
- 22 Error - Failure during open/write to the filter/escalation log file, logging to the log file is suspended
- 23 Note - Open/write to the filter/escalation log file resumed successfully
- 34 Error - Error while opening the BMC Remedy AR System server lock file
- 37 Error - Error while accessing one of the debug trace files. Debug tracing to the file is disabled
- 64 Warning - The filter/escalation action cannot write to the specified log file — action created but not logged in the log file
- Workflow Errors:
- 24 Error - Failure while trying to run the filter/escalation process
- 25 Error - Fields in 'set fields' action do not exist in the target form
- 38 Error - Filter/escalation 'set field' process returned an error. The current transaction is rejected. No update to the database occurred.
- 39 Error - Filter/escalation 'set field' process timed out before completion
- 43 Error - Unable to retrieve the menu for character field "field name"
- 65 Warning - Multiple form links are not supported in new filter definition syntax. Only the first link is loaded
- 67 Warning - Not able to open the menu
- 70 Warning - The character menu referenced by one or more fields in this form does not exist
- When the system encounters a unknown error:
- 1 Error - Message not in catalog