Known as Dev to Prod(D2P) is a feature used to push stuff from QA/Dev environment to production environment , this feature was initially introduce in AR System 9.x and later was enhanced a much over the releases. Adding more features and making it more stable.
Two primary components of D2P are
- D2P Console
- Single Point Deployment
D2P Console is mainly to manage and deploy the packages and has multiple capability will not talk much about it, as it's an old feature
Quick look on what's new in release "pre 9.1.03" , "9.1.04" and "9.1.04.001"
Why D2P and its enhancement ?
Basically today deployment of hotfix/patch was totally manual process and it was a big pain point to apply the hotfix/patch to each node/machine. if you look at a hotfix or patch it is bunch of binary files , definition files , data file (arx files) and some database changes and those has to manually apply on each node. D2P had already had capability to promote workflows definition , data (arx files) and what was really missing was deployment of binary files , In release 9.1.04 a new feature was introduced know as "Single Point Deployment" which takes care of deploying binary files.
Post 9.1.04 all the hotfix and patches will be shipped as D2P Packages. Main advantage of this will be to deploy only on one server and it will get deployed automatically on all the servers in the server group and the progress can be easily monitored and other key feature will be it can be rolled backed if needed.
The deployment process is going to look like this, download from EPD on a local machine , test it on your test/dev environment and then import it on your production machine. its going to be easy process and your don't need to do access these machine physically. it will be all from D2P Console.
What is Single Point Deployment feature?
What is Single Point Deployment ?Single Point Deployment helps to create and deploy an binary payload. A binary payload is a set of binary files, configuration files, batch, or Shell scripts which can be executed. Not only BMC anyone can create a payload for deploying
What components that support binary payload ?
You can deploy a binary payload onto the following components.
- BMC Remedy Action Request System Server (AR)
- BMC Remedy Mid Tier (MT)
3. What changes where made to AR Monitor (armonitor) ?
AR Monitor (armonitor.exe/sh) loads(starts) all the process which are available in armonitor.cfg , from 9.1.04 has more intelligent where it know which process it has loaded and has capability to start and stop individual process.
4. What is a file deployment Process?
Starting 9.1.04 for all the 3 components above(AR , MT & SmartIT) , a separate process know as “file deployer” is running , which is aware of how to stop and start the processes basically it can instruct armonitor to start or stop any particular process , for example it can instruct to stop/start "java plugin process" hosted on a AR Server.
5. What are the main components of File Deployment Process?
Three components which are important for any file deployment process
- File Deployer :- A new process that runs under monitor and does actual work of deployment of any new binary payload.
- AR Monitor :- Filedeployer calls ARMonitor for stopping and starting required processes.
- AR Server :- Acts as a co-ordinator between multiple file deployers. Control the sequence in which deployment should be done.
Summary :- With all the above new stuff you have an new capability to deploy a binary file , to deploy an binary file you need create a payload on a AR Server , which can have a binary file that has to be deployed. The is how the flow is
- AR Server Instructs file deployer that there is some work need to be done
- File deployer downloads the binary file from the server
- File deployer instruct AR Monitor to STOP the particular process which is defined in the payload ( Stop is required because that particular binary file (jar) might have been locked by process)
- File deployer takes the backup of existing binary
- File deployer copies the new binary
- File deployer STARTS the particular process it has stopped
- File deployer checks if that process was started or not
- Marked deployment as done.
Will come with few more blogs on Single Point deployment.