Having recently installed an 18.08 system, it was noticed that the Chat icon was not present (missing) although the integration to "openfire" was done during the installation of SmartIT.
I could see the services for SmartIT and openfire running correctly, and there were no errors in the associated application logs that were pointing to anything wrong with the installation.
Relying on past experience here, there a a number of Knowledge Articles available that point to use of uppercase characters in the configuration for the server names that have in the past caused issues with the Virtual Chat (openfire) and Remedy/SmartIT integrations.
These Knowledge Articles point to configuration settings within openfire and local configuration file settings - however with the latest versions of Remedy, the configuration files are no longer present so how do I validate that my settings are correct and where are they now?
This is where the value of the Communities and the associated Blog posts come to power.
As of version 18.05, BMC included OOB a "Centralized" Configuration Console for the Server Group further centralising the configurations and extending on the previous consoles:
As the BMC Documentation (Wiki) refers to this in the "Disabling Openfire chat", then this is a good place to start with looking at the settings (power of deduction in play here).
Before I headed over to the Centralized Configuration (AR System Server Group Console), I first need to check that the "openfire" settings for the "xmpp.domain" value align with what the previous Knowledge Articles refer to - which is to have the Server names in "lowercase" across the configurations.
Why you may ask, well this is due to programming languages primarily being "case sensitive" although applications may not be - it depends on the application and how the developers have handled the case sensitivity.
So, step 1 is to validate my openfire settings.
The openfire console can be accessed from the local port (default 7001) [Example: http://bmcdwpsmartit.mps.com:7001/ ].
I headed to the Server > System Properties section and updated the value for the "xmpp.domain" to the lowercase equivalent. [Note: my Server names by default entered in Uppercase as this is how they are configured in Windows and my domain controller]
With step 1 completed, I headed on over to the AR System Server Group Console to complete step 2:
As I am looking for the configuration mentioned in the BMC Documentation, I selected the "Server Group Configuration" option in the left hand menu. For the "Work On Component Type", as I am looking at the SmartIT options, I select the "com.bmc.arsys.smartit" object from the list and click "Load Settings":
I am now presented with all the settings associated with SmartIT. To help narrow down the options, I use the function to reduce the list to what I am looking for by using the "Find Setting Matching" = chat . This presents a more workable list of options:
I can see that the following settings for chat have uppercase characters for the Server name:
** Before I make any setting changes, I create a backup of the settings using the "Backup Configuration" button.**
I select these option for editing by clicking the "Add To Update Settings" button.
Individually selecting each row, I update the setting by placing the new value into the "Update Selected Rows With Value" box and clicking the "Update" button.
Once I have validated the settings to be correct, I click the "Save All Rows" button to commit my changes.
Looking at the settings, I can see that my values are now inline with what I am expecting - lowercase characters for the Server names.
Now that my configurations for both openfire and SmartIT look correct, I restart both Services and navigate back to the SmartIT Console.
Success - I can now see my chat icon being present and my user icon now being green.
I can start a chat and don't receive the dreaded "spinning wheel icon" in the chat window.
Note: If you do experience the "spinning wheel icon" in the chat window, this is usually an indication that your openfire settings are correct, but the Remedy settings need to be adjusted.
With a centralised configuration, I no longer need to hunt down individual configuration files to update - a great new feature now included OOB that appears to have spawned from the following document by Douglas Reif