As many of you already know, version 7.6.04 of the Remedy ITSM Suite (platform and applications) has reached its end of support date. After 6 years of support, the limited support period for version 7.6.04 ended on January 28, 2017. I would like to use this blog to remind all of our customers who are still on version 7.6.04 to upgrade to the latest version of Remedy (v9), and I wanted to share my view on what you will gain from an upgrade to the latest Remedy version.
(Note: for up-to-date information about end of support dates for all BMC product versions, you can always go to BMC Support --> Supported Products A – Z and then pick the BMC product name. For BMC Remedy ITSM this brings you to the following page, where all the versions and end of support dates are listed: https://webapps.bmc.com/support/faces/az/prodallversions.jsp?seqid=158016)
One obvious reasons why we recommend an upgrade to the latest service pack version of Remedy 9.1 is to continue to get support and updates from BMC. We want our customers to have the best possible experience with our product, and support services from our highly skilled team of support engineers is an essential element for success.
In addition, and even more importantly, Remedy 9.1 also delivers significant new value, that we have released to the market over the past 6 years as part of versions 8.x, 9.0 and 9.1. This will bring your existing Remedy solution onto a modern technology platform, will enable you to deliver a delightful and highly efficient user experience (both web and mobile), and you have the option to use a number of great new features that weren’t available in version 7.6.04. In many cases these new features may allow you to reduce the number of customizations, which in turn can make you more agile for adopting new BMC capabilities in the future. All this will help you improve the value and the perception of the Remedy solution in your company. If you haven’t seen or heard anything about Remedy 9 yet, I recommend that you start with our Remedy 9 landing page and have a look at the overview video (2min). That'll give you an impression how much Remedy has improved.
In the remainder of this blog I’d like to list some key new capabilities available as part of Remedy 9.1, which are not available for your 7.6.04 version. Note that both Users and Admins benefit tremendously from these new capabilities. My intent is to give you a quick reference of the key enhancements between 7.6.04 and 9.1. A comprehensive list of all new features or a detailed discussion of the key enhancements would be too much for a blog like this. You should rather see this as a starting point from which you can go into various additional resource use the hyperlinks that I provide. So, here you go:
Key New Capabilities for Users
- Modern, state-of-the-art in-app reporting solution with beautiful, high-value ITSM reports and social collaboration capabilities built-in
- Powerful drag-and-drop features that empowers both non-technical users and technical users to create new reports in self-service mode
- Supported on web, iOS & Android
Knowledge Centered Support
- KCS best practices now embedded in the Remedy knowledge management capabilities to ensure that the quality of the knowledge base is continuously improved
- Improves ability for business users to self-serve and helps service desk agents reduce time to resolve incidents.
Optimized for the Smart IT and MyIT Enhanced User Experience for higher user satisfaction and engagement
- Modern, easy-to-used web and mobile UI for IT and business users
- Smart, effective interactions through proactive guidance provided by the ITSM system
- World-class service catalog solution and digital workplace capabilities for business users
- Improved customer service delivery through comprehensive contextual information about customers, services, assets, and sites
- Easy email-based interactions for approval and ticket creation / updates
Enhanced Change Management Capabilities
- Improved documentation of collision management actions for better auditability
- Easy creation of change request for non-ITSM experts through a wizard based approach
- Dynamic query mechanism to add CIs in bulk
Key New Capabilities for Admins
Modern Platform that is now 100% implemented based on Java
- Significant simplification and modernization of the Remedy platform code base, leading to higher quality
- Enables use of industry-standard tools for troubleshooting, tuning and administration
- Performance improvements in various areas, including 10x faster search performance
- RESTful web services for easy integration with internal and external solutions
- Google Chrome support
New Deployment Manager Tool
- Fast roll-out of code and configuration data changes from development to production instances
Remedy Single Sign-on
- Lightweight and simple to configure SSO solution for Remedy and other BMC tools
- Support for LDAP, Kerberos, CAC/PIV, SAML
- Supports double authentication of change approvals in support of industry regulations such as Title 21 CFR Part 11
Enhanced data access controls for security and privacy
- Support for hierarchical groups within ITSM applications
- Segregated access to ticket data based on (hierarchical) support groups
- Assignment menu tied to company field to reduce accidental mis-assignments to wrong group
New policy-based archiving solution for ITSM records
- Auto-archival of core ITSM record and associated records (e.g. work info)
- Continuous archiving of closed tickets older than x weeks / months
Just as a reminder: the easiest way to experience how these key enhancements look like is to access a hosted trial environment for Remedy 9.1 (incl. Smart IT, MyIT and Smart Reporting). Sign up is easy.
Transition to Remedy 9.1 - We made it easier than ever
Innovation is not always easy to consume. Concepts and user experience may be changing, technology may be changing, and careful planning is required to get to successful outcomes. BMC Remedy is taking pride in helping customers make this transition to modern IT Service Management easy and painless.
First of all, as with previously introduced new capabilities (web UI, best-practice view, ...) we’re not forcing you to use the new capabilities described above as part of the upgrade to Remedy 9.1. They are recommended, but ultimately they are optional, and if you want to first upgrade to 9.1 and use your existing environment “as is”, and then later on adopt these new capabilities, you can do so. There is a transition period, where we support both old and new, and allows you to move at your own pace.
Second, if you are a customer who manages your Remedy solution in-house, it’s important to understand that upgrading to Remedy 9.1 is easier than ever. Many customers who recently upgraded to a new Remedy version have experience significantly shorter upgrade projects. BMC has delivered a number of unique enhancements for the upgrade process over the past years:
- Simpler upgrade installer with fewer screens, fewer information you have to provide
- Easier transfer of customizations to new 9.1 version via granular overlay concept and 3-way reconciliation tool
- Zero downtime upgrade of Remedy platform and Atrium CMDB
- Interactive guidance of required upgrade steps
- Call home feature for easy support from BMC during upgrade project
- Choice of in-place or staged upgrade process
You may also consider moving to Remedy OnDemand as part of this move to Remedy 9.1, so that this and future upgrades are handled for you by BMC.
We certainly hope you consider upgrading to version 9.1 to ensure a continued, smooth use of your Remedy solution.
Questions? Did I miss some important feature? Feel free to post comments below. For a demo of the new Remedy ITSM 9.1 solution or for a discussion how you can get help with the upgrade, please use our hosted trial environment or contact your sales team or Remedy partner.
- Technical webinars about Remedy 9: Connect with Remedy: Remedy 9 Webinars
- ‘Why upgrade to Remedy 9’ blog article from Tony Myers
- Contact a Remedy Upgrade Consultant
- BMC Education web-based training courses about Remedy 9