We have seen quick adoption for Remedy ITSM 8.1 from the customer base with install and upgrade activities being front and center. This post shares some thoughts on how to create plan around application install and useful resources while running the installation. I will also cover some frequent questions, how they fit into this topic, and quick references to answer these questions.
Summary of the Blog is as below:
- End to end Process and Approach on ITSM 8.1 Upgrade information
- Informative Links of wiki Pages with Known Issues and compatibility Matrix
- Known Issues and Related Knowledge articles to the Topic
To start on this activity, we recommend you to review the information from below web links
Below are some of the guidelines, which we recommend you to follow when you plan your application, upgrade activity:
Planning To Upgrade:
This section will cover following points which would be useful during upgrade of BMC Remedy ITSM Suite solution
- Compatibility matrix before upgrade
- Upgrade Requirements, Preparing database for Upgrade
- Downloading Installation Files for Upgrade
Following link provide information and recommendations on using Stage upgrade process
Migrating Delta Data after Upgrade:
The Delta Data Migration Tool is used during last stage of upgrade process to move data which was created or changed after copying the production database from your production server to the staging server.
For more information about this tool, see Migrating delta data after an upgrade
If you have previously installed BMC Remedy AR System 7.6.04 and have already implemented overlays you need to perform below stages for upgrade process:
If you do not have overlays implemented in your existing server and want to keep all customizations then, we recommend you to check the information from below topic
To understand the list of browsers that are compatible with ITSM application we recommend you to review the utility, BMC Solution and Product Availability and Compatibility Utility
To understand the related requirement about upgrade activity, we recommend you to review the information from below documentation portal space.
Review the requirements for your computer platform:
Review Understanding how upgrading without overlays works, including the subsections. This information will help you understand the importance of overlays during the upgrade process.
Please find below complete steps if you plan to upgrade your server with staging server
Stage 1 - Setting up a staging server for upgrades without overlays already present if you need to set up a staging server
a. Upgrade BMC Atrium Core.
While upgrading your application pleas keep the note of following activities:
Before installing ITSM Application, Atrium Integrator Server must be successfully installed on the server where AR, CMDB are already installed. Also note that Atrium Integrator has a separate installer and is not part of the Atrium Core installer. Please check additional information from knowledge article KA394300
If you are in server group then then you may follow the below approach for complete server group application upgrade activity
- Take the secondary down during the full upgrade of the primary
- Primary has to be removed from the server group prior to upgrade
- Once fully upgraded (ARS/Atrium/ITSM/SRM/SLM), primary is configured back into the server group
- Upgrade ARS on secondary whilst it's still down - the upgrade will not work if the secondary is up
- Upgrade Atrium/ITSM/SRM/SLM on secondary whilst its up and part of the server group
After successful upgrade activity, please keep the note of following information:
Finally, there are a few known issues with Upgrade activity, where it does not work quite as efficiently or cover use cases desired by customers. These usually have workarounds which are covered in the knowledge base, see the following articles for more information
- In case if you receives below error message while creating CTM: People form record, then you may need to check if Enable Multiple assignee group option
ARERR  Updating this entry will violate join condition
ARERR  Entry does not exist in database
ARERR  the group name is not a defined group.
The preceding message occurred during the execution of active link CTM:PPL:DialogSave_450_ADDPERSON -- action 2. (ARNOTE 1101)
- In case none of the application forms have been updated correctly after your upgrade process, then we recommend to you check the setting for the "Overlay-mode:" option from ar.cfg/conf
You can check additional information about this configuration from documentation portal space.
You can get additional resources about the pre-checker utilities from below web links:
In the case of defects, be sure to upgrade to the latest versions and service packs that address them. Also note that you can use Ideas in Communities to submit and vote on features that you would like to see in the product.