I was working with a customer recently who wanted to create a report for a specific issue and track it over time. He wondered if there was a way to create a custom report to achieve this goal, and if he could easily share this new report with his colleagues.
I was happy to tell him that it can be done much more easily and completely in BMTM 7, because BMTM version 7 integrates the Eclipse-based Business Intelligence and Reporting Tools (BIRT) as its new reporting engine. BIRT provides:
- Lists: basic reporting of data inluding grouping to organize related data together. You can easily add totals, averages and other summaries.
- Charts: Pie charts, line & bar charts and many more.
- Crosstabs: Crosstabs show data in two dimensions.
- Compound Reports: Many reports need to combine the above into a single document.
Among the new BMM specific features included with integrated BIRT are:
- Improved look and feel
- Browser viewable reports
- Reports available in several formats (e.g. Word, Excel, PDF)
- Ability to schedule report generation using external tools
- Eclipse-based Report Designer to create custom report designs
The customer created the report using the provided eclipse based report designer, published it to BMM, then placed it on the default view for every queue. He was also able to share the link to the report as an easy way for his co-workers to view it.
To get started designing reports in BIRT, consult the BMTM 7 documentation, specifically the Operations User Guide, Chapter 6, 'Report Designer'. You'll find the guide to getting started there.