Learning from the Independence Day week-end, let's assess how we can bring even more freedom on BMC Communities.
Very high Freedom already
BMC Communities is fully designed for free posts and interactions (a system of engagement, not a system of control -- just a couple of no-brainer guidelines):
- Giving a voice to people, fostering collaboration and crowdsourcing between Customers, Partners and BMCers.
- Moderators include Customers and Partners, illustration that no censorship happens (the Community is "for us all, by us all")
So how can we improve freedom?
Room for Improvement anyway
When we upgraded BMC Communities in March, we made much progress on the underlying platform (more social, more mobile), but did not touch yet all the rewards/points/badges. Gaps include the following:
- To provide a great experience on all the Communities and Groups you're using, we actually had to hide the leaderboards in March. Points were calculated behind the scene (and rolled up to profile), but were not displayed in a given community or group.
As a consequence, BMCers (at least the BMC Communities team) were required to ID top users, making BMCers bottleneck (definitely not what we want on a community), thus slowing down how all people connect with each other in a meaningful fashion.
In the coming days, leaderboards will be back, fully public!
Announcing Reward Refresh
The update is actually way bigger than the leaderboards. The whole point/badges system will be refreshed.
|What stays "as is"||What is improved|
Many improvements in the leaderboards for sure!
- First, they will appear again on all communities/groups
- They will display Monthly datapoints (and not all time points)
- great to ID trendy users,
- it will avoid scaring new users (when somebody joins a community, and sees many people with tens of thousands of points, it's a bit frightening)
- You'll have full access to user's profile when mousing over one of the leaders
Jason Miller recently beta testing leaderboards
BTW, let's take this opportunity to thank top beta testers of these new capabilities:
- Jason Miller, LJ LongWing, kedar zavar and Laurent Matheo
- Richard McLeod, Sean Berry and Jim Wilson
- Michele Marques, Giuseppe Nardiello and Tom Geva
On your profile, you'll have easy access to your points, and also badges you received (when completing a Mission)
Clear Descriptions of Missions (points, steps)
You will also have access to Missions you have not completed yet, showing ways you can benefit more from BMC Communities.
Note: life is full of surprises, so various rewards are not publicly documented, on purpose. They will just happen because you did something great for the Community.
What to expect? When?
Several changes will happen in the next days:
- On Tuesday 7th, 6pm Pacific, we'll have a maintenance (a couple of hours, while most of us around the world are not using Communities) to prepare various activities. At this time, points and badges will disappear.
- On Friday 10th, around 6pm Pacific, points & badges will appear again.
On Monday morning, when you come back on BMC Communities, you'll enjoy points, badges and also leaderboards.
Quiz for Monday 13th: (betas testers do not play)
Now that you've tested it live,