As shared in the Survey results post, we are planning many changes to improve even further your experience with BMC Communities.
Key themes we're focusing on in the short-term are:
- reducing complexity: we already simplified many sub-communities within Products, we plan several simplification / enhanced navigation steps in the next weeks
- more social: BMC Communities is where users connect with each other and engage. Various UX changes will be applied to make this far easier (explained below)
- more actionable: so much content is posted here, let's make it easier to find, and take actions on (read below for details)
The User profile will allow to learn far more from each other (you'll spot things that you experience on social platforms like Linkedin, Google+, or Twitter for example).
Profiles will be simplified (more focused), yet more powerful.
Peer recognition on skills
You will be able to endorse each other on skills.
Even better, BMC Communities will then allow you to search people by skill.
Still on User profile, you'll be able to understand more connections from each others:
- Quick view on number of following, and number of followers
- Also displaying connections that you share with the profile you're displaying
Can you guess who's profile it is? (highly followed)
And that's not it! These 2 screenshots are only a couple of widgets within the profile.
User Profiles will also include:
- Trends on content, communities and groups that you interact on
- Featuring your top content
- More visuals
- And more!
Still on the social theme, the mobile app on Android comes back, with great capabilities:
- rich text, ability to @mention people, but also content and communities/groups
- ways to follow/unfollow content and people,
- share, message, and more!
Quick access to profile attributes,
and ways to follow/unfollow, message, etc.
Heads-up: usernames (for example matt for me) will be simplified: you'll be prompted to update your username in case it currently includes an Email address (see rationale), or uses some capital letters.
Rich Text, @mention, insert picture, etc.
We want crowdsourced content to be even more valuable for you all.
Greatly influence outcome on content
As you can easily guess, key capabilities include:
- easier to search: what if final or official content bubbled up? And outdated content was rarely appearing in search (and would clearly be flagged as old, giving a pointer to the updated resource)
- Easier to take action on: on most content, you'll be able to take actions (flag as to-do for yourself, and/or loop in others)
Comments from Beta Testers
- "Profiles are looking nice! I have looked at a few and endorsed a few." JMiller
- "Tags updated." JMiller > explanations: if you modify tags on your profile now, they'll convert as skills (that others can endorse) as soon as we upgrade
- "Just logged on through the new client....nice " lj.longwing, about the new Android app
- "My feeling is good about this new version especially for the presentation and the ability to have some skills that can be endorse by others" allandujiperou
- "Love it! I can't wait to see these metrics in action" kfarrell
- "Jezzz, I can't wait to collaborate even more with many friends" BMC Bear (thanks lmaggi for the tweet)
Maintenance happens this week-end. It begins at 5pm Central on Friday.
You'll enjoy all the changes when back at work on Monday (or Sunday for some of you).
~ BMC Communities team, Beta Testers & Upgrade Project Team