Download mp3 (9:19)
Whether you’re requesting infrastructure as a service, platform as a service, or software as a service... when those resources are assigned to you [it’s important] that data collection and monitoring gets turned on as well, says Ajay Singh
Managing cloud operations is analogous to running a large airline. In both cases, you have a relatively fixed set of assets for delivering services. You have to manage assets as efficiently as possible to deliver the most value and best service at the lowest cost. To meet these demanding and sometimes opposing requirements, you need to be flexible and manage proactively. That requires the right management processes, assets, and technology. Join us as we talk with Ajay Singh, Vice President and General Manager of Service Assurance, BMC Software, and gain some insight into ways to handle the four challenges of cloud computing.
Ajay Singh is Vice President and General Manager of Service Assurance, BMC Software. Ajay Singh is responsible for BMC’s Service Assurance products. He came to BMC as part of the ProactiveNet acquisition, where he was the founder, president, and CEO. Singh has more than 25 years of experience in application and system management, professional services, and marketing.
The cloud’s operational environment is complex and constantly changing. Thousands of work loads move among hundreds, or even thousands, of physical servers, and keeping track of these details and ensuring optimal enduser performance is difficult.
- In your recent paper (Tackling the Four Challenges of Proactive Cloud Operations) you mention there are four major challenges related to effectively managing a cloud operation. Would you give us a rundown on those challenges?
- Let’s talk about understanding the environment. Aren’t the (APIs) available from external cloud providers sufficient to understanding what you’re dealing with?
- What is the best way to deal with virtualization?
- What do we mean by the “domino effect” in a cloud environment, and what’s are some ways to head that off?
- Do you have some thoughts about effective ways to deal with service requests?
- Any additional thoughts for our listeners?
- BMC Industry Insight: Tackling the Four Challenges of Proactive Cloud Operations (pdf)
- Learn more about Proactive Operations