I thought I would share my experience assisting a long time customer who requested I be on site and assist them as they move their HQ location. As part of the move they purchased 50 new in the box dell workstations that need to be set up prior to their users arriving at the new location. They did not want to image these workstations at the old location and move them to the new location and since this move occurred over the weekend (BMC Tech Support Unavailable) they requested I work with them over the weekend to ensure they would not run into any issues as they had a requirement that had to be fulfilled.
Due to a VM issue we started out by building a brand new OSD Manager and got that fully configured (about 10 minutes). The longest part of that was installing ADK (8.1) on that VM.
Once the OSD Manager was configured we copied their existing Windows 7 Gold Image (Sysprep) into the new share and configured that object. Next we moved all the Drivers By Model from the old to the new OSD Manager (Dell Systems). We copied the modified unattend.txt file (Removed a section so unsigned drivers don't require any acknowledgments during the driver installation phase). We continued to set up the balance of the required objects and put the project online.
We then set up a primary Boot Listener (image repository & boot listener roles) and additional boot listeners UNDER our site primary. Network team configured the ports in the Service Desk office so all the boot listeners (one per subnet) were located in a controlled environment. Network team also setup Multicast for the user VLANs (this is a must when doing large deployments).
This customer had built a cool VB script that was set to run as "First Command" which allowed the admins to MOVE the AD object (the project joins the device to the domain so the object already exists) from the default Computers OU to one of the OU options built into the script (OUs by Department). In addition it adds a description in AD which they use to name the assigned USER or Device Location. When synched with AD this field shows up in the NOTES field on the main page of the device in Client Management. It also takes the Service Tag aka Serial Number of the device and renames the computer. They also install the Client Management Agent then the device reboots. After reboot the device has the new unique name and the agent is run for the first time. We built the agent so service does not start until after the first reboot.
We have a device group where NEWLY created objects (Create Date > -1 day) and all the required software is then installed (about 7 software titles including AV) and the folder where the PS script and BCM_Agent.exe is located is deleted. This group is also assigned to a patch job set to run daily so these newly imaged devices get patched ASAP.
All in all this was a very successful implementation of taking what the customer was already doing and quickly getting it fully setup and configured at the new HQ location. Below are a few screen shots I took as we imaged these devices in the various office locations.